You read that right. Benjamin Moore picked their 2018 Color of the Year and do you know what it is? Here’s the description of it on the website to give you a little hint: “Hot, passionate, and sexy, this is one of our most beloved reds. With a hint of orange, it has lots of personality and is the perfect hue for you if you are drawn to the warmer tones of red.” Figured it out yet? Not to worry, Benjamin Moore decided to go with….
What is it about this color that is so special? Well when asked about it, Benjamin Moore’s Director of Strategic Design Intelligence — Ellen O’Neill — stated this:
“Caliente is the signature color of a modern architectural masterpiece; a lush carpet rolled out for a grand arrival; the assured backdrop for a book-lined library; a powerful first impression on a glossy front door. The eye can’t help but follow its bold strokes. Harness the vitality.”
This is the second year that Benjamin Moore picks a bold, and out the regular neutral color. (Last year it was Shadow.) With Caliente AF however, you can’t be shy. As they say, go big or go home. This hot new color is meant to stand out. It evokes passion, confidence, and livens any area. Take a look at how Benjamin Moore used the color to make beautiful rooms.
Every year Ellen O’Neill and her team of 7 go out into the world and look for the right inspiration to lead to picking one of 3,500 Benjamin Moore Colors to be the Color of the Year. To give you some perspective, this year the determined team traveled 19,200 miles, to 12 countries, and attended 23 industry shows to choose 1 color to beat them all.
O’Neill stated in an interview with Architectural Digest that this color first caught her eye when she attended the Women’s March in DC before heading to Paris for a big Trade Show. Take a look for yourself. You can see the traces of red and pink that stand out with the confidence of all the women standing together.
It wasn’t long after this that O’Neil began to notice the popularity of this beautiful red color. From the red robes of the maids in Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale to the Items in MoMa’s “Items” Show. This color popped every time it was in the room.
We know after reading this, you’re probably ready get your own Caliente projects started in your own home. That’s great! But before you do so, just a few helpful tips.
- Remember, red is a color that is difficult to get right because it has such high pigmentation. In order to avoid dissatisfaction make sure you buy quality paint which is hard to come by in a big box store. Benjamin Moore is a company that specializes in quality paint and only sells to authorized dealers. Howard Brothers is a proud dealer with 3 hardware locations in Duluth, Doraville, and Oakwood in case you want to check us out!
- Before you paint, make sure you’ve picked out a deep tint primer so you don’t have to apply so many coats.
- You want to make sure you buy the right tools. Make sure you have a quality white woven roller that is 3/8.
- Also, when it comes to red paints, you’ll sometimes find that your lap lines are visible. To avoid this, start painting on primer with a brush, applying a narrow swath of paint carefully around window trim, corners, door frames and other nooks that would be tough to get to with a roller. This is called “cutting in.” then use a roller for the rest. Repeat with color.
- Let first coat dry before adding second coat. May apply second coat after depending on how satisfied you are.
- If you are nervous about taking the dive and painting a whole room red, perhaps try it out on a focal point first. (a mantel, a bookcase, the inside of a bookcase) Then go from there.
- Have fun! Painting is a form of expression. Don’t be afraid to try bold new colors.
Our Howard Brothers staff is happy to help with your next paint project. Be sure to visit us if you have any questions for your next DIY.